Tuesday, November 07, 2006

New York Marathon 2006 - random details



Expo: Amazing! It ran like clockwork and I didn't wait in a single line to get my chip or goodies. My bus pass was not printed on my bib and a very nice volunteer led me directly to the place where it could be fixed. I couldn't have been happier. It was very congested at the Nike section but the rest of the place wasn't too bad.



Expo highlight: Accidentally stumbling upon Grete Weitz autographing posters. (see photo). She was super nice and I mentioned that my last star autograph (Deena Kastor) coincided with a PR race and Grete said she hoped her signature would shave a few minutes off my time. Looks like it worked!


Money spent:

  • Donation to Sponge Bob for markers, signs and a Sponge Bob sponge. I have no idea what the donation actually went towards.
  • Cool souvenier t-shirt with description of the course in words
  • Red shoelaces from Saucony - donation to their new foundation to fight childhood obesity.
  • Marathon pin. I always buy one of these.
  • Saucony running shirt: it says Triumph NYC 2006. I couldn't resist this since I wear Triumph sneakers. The new model is awesome metallic green. I hope they feel as good as the model I wear now.

Lessons Learned:

  • Pasta party: lame, lame, lame! Even amoug pasta parties which are typically lame. Despite the organization of NYRR, we were misdirected on the way into the party and the way out. As a result we didn't get our dessert/goodie bag and were forced to return to the party via an exit and ask a bouncer guy to fetch the bags for us. Why? Because I can't stand not getting free stuff. Contents of goodie bags obtained from bouncer guy: apple, wheat crackers, cookies, snazzy Barilla pasta timer, italian water ice. Goodies others had that we didn't get from bouncer guy: full boxes of Barilla Plus pasta shapes. Contents of goodie bags found abandoned along the walkway near Tavern on the Green: Same as bouncer bags plus 10 bags of mini carrots. Very odd indeed!

  • Being a paranoid rule follower, I got to the NY Public Library bus stop very close to 5 am. I was at Ft. Wadsworth by 6:15. It was FREEZING and BORING over there. Next time, I'm taking a later bus even though the runner guide tells you to be at the busses by 5 am

General Observations:

  • A guy waiting at the Fort with inflatable lazy boy chair, lots of people in sleeping bags.
  • A guy hopping out of the race at Marcus Garvey Park to buy a hot dog and hopping back in while still eating it.
  • Mile 10.2 - Nike folks in yellow handing out whistles and seeing yellow chalk messages all over the street
  • The cool neighborhood in Brooklyn with the "High Five Station" with signs ahead of it letting you know that it was coming.
  • The area around mile 5 or so that was blaring YMCA and had people dressed up as the Village People (at least the Indian Chief with the long feathered headdress)
  • The Soldier running in fatigues and pack and carrying his flag.
  • The Save the Rhino guys running in rhino costumes!
  • The folks in the Bronx doing the electric slide
  • The people who had tamborines along the way. What a great spectator accessory!


No comments: