Sunday, September 16, 2007

It's a Beautiful Day in Philadelphia!

Nice medal, huh? Course record for me at 2:23! Yay!
I'm back from my half marathon today and I had a pretty good day overall.
Here's my race report done as a tribute to one of my favorite kids books (it's called Fortunately).
Fortunately, Philadelphia was blessed with perfect race weather today! Beautiful blue sky, and sunny with a light breeze, in the low 50s at the start. Even now, at about 3:00, it's only in the mid-60s.
Unfortunately, this gorgeous setting had me off and running way faster than my normal snail's pace.
Fortunately, I knew that was not good, so I tried really hard to force myself to slow down.
Unfortunately, that totally ruined my rhythm for the first 5 miles.
Fortunately, things started looking up when I spotted some friends and they kept me on track for the next 3 miles.
Unfortunately, they stopped at a port-o-john and I was on my own again.
Fortunately, the course takes a turn at mile 8.5 and heads into a long straightaway to the finish.
Unfortunately, my fashion choices started to backfire on me on this stretch. (Cute running skirt, why did you decide that today was a good day to chafe?)
Fortunately, I am too tough to let a little chafe ruin a PR for this course!
Unfortunately, they moved the finish line this year so my finishing kick ran out of juice a little short of the finish like so it was really more of a finishing shuffle.
Fortunately, they still gave me a totally awesome medal!
Also Fortunately, my 15 year old niece did the race too and finished with her own PR of 2:16 and Mr. hmonkeyruns also finished with a PR.
Pace Splits & times from the website:
5K: 10:40 33:07
10K: 10:43 1:06:43
10 mile: 10:55 1:49:04
overall: 10:59 2:23:49

3 comments:

Database Diva said...

Hi Helen,

Congratulations on your great run today. How exciting that all three of you did so well. Did Mary run, too?

MAT2006 said...

I was there but did not PR (or even come close) so I was not worthy of mention. I do, however, still hold the family course record!

Database Diva said...

Fast times are great, but good times are even better ;) I hope everyone had a good time, whether it was fast or not!