Monday, July 02, 2007

Weekend Running

Saturday morning was the PhillyFit run at Valley Forge and that meant 8 miles of hills.

We had a pretty interesting guy come to give out some tips on form and warming up properly but that cost us 45 minutes of shade before the clouds moved on and the heat started to kick in. Saturday wasn't a particularly hot day but the comination of hills and lack of shade made for a very tough day for me. Nike+ gives credit for 8.88 miles and a 11:19 pace. I was thinking that was more miles than we actually ran, but when I look at the map provided by the park, I think it's pretty accurate. Interesting!

Feeling pretty defeated by my Saturday run, and being blessed with temps in the low 70s with a breeze and low humidity on Sunday I went back to the loop and ran 5 miles on my own and felt amazingly better. Nike+ put this one at just over 5 miles and a 10:30 pace. Had it been earlier in the day, when less bikes and baby strollers are on the trail, I might have repeated the Saturday workout and gone for 8 miles.

I don't know why I'm always surprised when heat & humidity cause me such trouble on the run. It happens every time so I need to just expect it.

No comments: