Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Predicting My Marathon Finish

My primary goal for Delaware is just to beat my very slow marathon PR and to run as much as I can. But as the day gets closer I am thinking more and more about when I hope to finish. This is not my primary race this year and my main focus is on whatever fall marathon I choose to run but I'd still like to set some goals for Delaware that will help me avoid wimping out on race day.

I decided to poke around and see what the marathon predictors say about my finish time based on my recent events.

Running Times says that I'll finish in 5:05:58 based on my Broad Street time and 5:18:34 based on my Caesar Rodney time. Using the VF 5 mile run, it predicts a 5:12:15 finish.

Marathon Guide predicts a 5:03:55 marathon based on Broad Street and 5:13:57 based on Caesar and 5:12:23 based on VF.


On my race entry I said I expected to finish in 5:30 and that's still my ultimate goal but I do hope that I can do better and if the weather and the body cooperate I should be able to do it.

According to the predictors, I should think about beating Speed Turtle (a walker acquaintance of mine) who is shooting for a 5:12 finish at Delaware.

So I guess I have a bunch of goals:

Super ideal, perfect day overall: sub 5:00
Excellent day: 5:12 or better
Really good day: 5:20
Average but still good day: 5:30
Disappointing but still OK day: 5:31 - 5:57
Disappointing not so OK day: 5:58 or slower

2 comments:

MAT2006 said...

Here are mine:

Goal: Faster than last marathon, continuing progress back toward my former slow runner pace (under 5:45)

Stretch Goal: Under 5:30 (a stretch because of insufficient training and potential for hot weather although marathonguide says I should be able to do better than this based on VF and More times)

jeanne said...

Great job on the broad street run! We have a lot in common! I'm trying to leave the walking behind too.