Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Lots to report

Let's see. Since I last checked in I went to the shore for a few days and had a great time despite being stuck in traffic in both directions. It took close to three hours each way when it usually takes no more than two. Just awful. We were stuck in Zoo traffic (literally people going to the zoo) for an hour.

My sister (one of those who bailed on the MORE marathon) has decided to walk the Philadelphia Distance Run with her two teenaged daughters. I'm not sure that any of them know quite what they are in for but it should be fun getting them all set. It's even more interesting when you realize that only seven girls in their age group did the race last year so they might actually win a prize -- how cool would that be?

One of the kids, the one I thought was being dragged into the PDR scheme, went for a walk with me & Brian on Monday and did an awesome job. We went about 5 miles and she didn't complain at all until about the last half mile. Especially impressive was that she was wearing flip flops! Anyway, stay tuned for the saga of getting those three across the finish line in September.

I gave blood last night and got my Gallon pin. How exciting! This is long overdue since the Red Cross doesn't remember my donations from back in high school and college. But now what do I do with my snazzy gallon pin? Where does one display such a thrilling item? They also seem to be phasing out the "be nice to me, I gave blood today" stickers in favor of ones that say "You can count on me - I'm a blood donor". Not quite as catchy. I bemoaned the sticker change enough that the volunteer gave me a "be nice to me sticker" too. Of course, I went right home and there was nobody to be nice to me but Brian and he gave blood also so the sticker didn't really do me any good.

I should be running tonight but due to the blood donation I'm skipping and it will try to go tomorrow. I need to do something this week because I have a 5K on Saturday morning and I am unprepared to say the least. This is the Collegeville 5K where Brian won his trophy last year so it should be very exciting to see if he can repeat! He probably won't for a few reasons: nagging ankle soreness from the marathon, a big cut on his big toe from stepping on a shell during a whiffle ball game on the beach, and the fact that he keeps threatening to run the last few yards to invalidate the walking. Bah Humbug on that plan!

My toenail that I thought would turn black is settling on a nice purple shade but nothing too hideous thank goodness.

I can't think of anything else so I will end this lame entry right now.

No comments: