Monday, June 05, 2006

Weekend Runs

The first run this weekend was the Collegeville 5K on Saturday. What an awful race!

Lots of people (including me) got lost on the course, some cut more than a mile out in the middle, some couldn't find the way to the finish line (that was me -- I could see the finish, but there were two paths leading to it and I chose the wrong one and then had to backtrack), and some slow people added extra milage because they couldn't find the course markers and they couldn't see anybody to follow. In addition to that the mile markers were in the wrong place out on the course -- me hitting the two mile mark in 18 minutes? I don't think so.

My final time was 36:24, which sucks by any standard, but considering:

1) I ran the wrong way and had to backtrack
2) I stopped mid-race to confer with other runners to decipher the road markers
3) there was really high humidity plus hills
4) I just gave blood

I can live with that finish time.

I think it had no chance to live up to the awesome race they had last year with tons of prizes and great food for a tiny crowd so our expectations were unreasonably high for it this year. At least we had free entry. They also had great stuff in the goodie bags again -- including a full 125 count bottle of Advil and a couple bottles of Centrum vitamins and a 3-pack of Chapstick.


The second run of the weekend was on Sunday and it was an effort to prove to myself that I am not quite as bad a runner as it seemed on Saturday. Well, guess what? I'm pretty bad! I did my own 5K-ish distance on my normal route and it took about 34 minutes which is pretty typical for me. I think my best 5K ever was 32 so I will tolerate 34.

My performance is showing that I have barely run at all since the marathon. I need to get back into mid-week runs.

We find out on Wednesday if we get into New York. I can hardly stand the wait!

No comments: