Thursday, June 15, 2006

Tempo Run tonight

I'm supposed to be doing my first tempo run tonight.

I'm not sure I know exactly what a tempo run even is but I gather I'm supposed to warm up, make myself run faster for awhile, and then cool down. I think I'm not quite ready for that yet and I'll settle for just getting three or four miles in where I'm not walking. It's a pretty nice day, warm but low humidity, so it should go pretty well.

I'm considering joining a gym. I need to have a back-up plan for bad weather or really high heat and a gym can certainly provide that until I manage to get my treadmill fixed (yeah, like that's ever going to happen). I can also take some yoga classes there because as much as I plan to do my yoga DVDs I never actually get around to it. It's hard to relax in the middle of my clutterd family room! Most of all though, I can start a weight program.

I really want to build up some muscle, especially in my totally wimpy arms, but I am seriously intimidated by gyms and machines. My master plan is to join the gym and sign up for some sessions with a trainer which hopefully will help me figure out a proper weight training plan that will prepare me for New York and will force me to get over my fear of using the machines.

It'll probably cost me a fortune to start up with this but I think I need to do it.

2 comments:

Garou said...

Yeah, you have pretty much described a tempo workout. There are two main types (as far as I know, anyway). In one, you warm up with 1-2 miles, then run a couple miles at a faster pace (one that you can sustain, but it pushes you), and then 1 mile or so of cooldown, probably at or below your warmup pace.

With the other, you warm up, and then you do intervals - you speed up for a specific distance or time, and then slow down for an equal period, then speed up again, etc. For example, you speed up for 2 minutes, then slow down for 2 minutes; or you speed up for 1/2 mile, then go slow for the same amount of time that you took to run that half mile.

Good luck with a gym - I currently go to the local YMCA, and their rates are pretty reasonable.

Donald said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and good luyck with your marathon training. I'm envious - I've never done NYC.

For the tempo run, it should be something just faster than your planned marathon pace. The idea is to make marathon pace seem easier on race day. Start very low (only 1-2 miles at speed) if it's your first time, then gradually build up the tempo distance from week to week. If you're consistent, this run will pay big dividends.

No advice on the gym - I've never belonged to one.