Friday, June 30, 2006

Thank you Destiny's Child!

I never thought I'd be writing that, let me tell you!

Last night I went for my typical post work run at Valley Forge. It was BRUTAL. It was hot, it was humid, it was just gross. I couldn't keep up a decent pace and I was too far ahead of Brian to justify waiting for him so we could walk together and talk -- especially because from my vantage point he looked like he was having a great outing (actually he was hating things too and would have been happy to walk and talk).

I was completely out of gas about halfway through the loop and I was trying to convince my legs to start running again but instead I just completely threw in the mental towel. I figued I'd walk the final 2 miles and just not even try to run at all. And that, my friends, is when the iPod came to the rescue, and Destiny's Child redeemed my workout.

You know thier hit song 'Survivor'? I had downloaded it from iTunes for just this type of occasion!

Check out the lyrics:

I'm a survivor
I'm not gonna give up
I'm not gon' stop
I'm gonna work harder
I'm a survivor
I'm gonna make it
I will survive
Keep on survivin'

Over and over and over again they keep on chanting those same words at a nice, steady, easy to maintain pace.

They interrupt the chant every and then to rag on the boyfriend that dumped them or something but mostly is that same "I'm not gonna give up" line. It was great. I even managed to run through most of the next song that came on which was called "Why does it always rain on me?" which was really kind of timely considering the recent weather in Pennsylvania.

I did wind up walking a lot even with the push from Destiny's Child but I did learn that I should probably play that constantly during miles 19-22 of the marathon when I am usually grouchy and miserable.

No comments: