Friday, June 16, 2006

Tempo Run? More like snail run

The good news is that we actually went for our run last night. The bad news is that I was like a snail.

We went to a different section of the trail -- one that's more gravel than paved -- and set out to do six miles. I knew I wasn't in the mood to run all six so I thought I'd walk the first one, run the next 4 and then decide at the last minute if I wanted to run or walk the last mile. Guess what I decided?

Overall it was fine -- I averaged 11:30 miles and felt OK the whole time. Again, I tried to just be consistant and not get to the point where I was desperate to stop because I was running too fast. It worked, I never felt bad, and while I did stop to walk a few times it was because I was hydrating. Still, when I finished mile 4 I was glad to start walking again. Had it been a race I certainly could have continued but I was very aware of my dinner sitting in my stomach and I was glad to walk so it would stop jiggling away in there.

This was my first run with the iPod shuffle armband. I think I like it but it took me awhile to get it adjusted to the proper fit on my arm. At first it was too tight and it was uncomfortable but I fiddled with it enough to get comfy and it's way better than the bouncy neck strap.

I also realized that my shoes are shot. I wore my new shoes for the last two runs and didn't think they were all that much better than my trusty old pair. Wow! I could feel every footstrike and by the end of the run I was aware of my knees. They didn't hurt -- but I knew they were there taking the impact. That doesn't happen with the new shoes. I guess it's time to get back to the running store to pick up another pair so I will have two good ones to rotate into the marathon training. I'm going to be really bummed when/if they change this model. I would like it if it came in another color though. I love my current blue ones but I wouldn't mind an alternative color.

No comments: