Saturday, June 17, 2006

Philly Fit Run - 7.5 miles

I ran a mile and half before Philly Fit started today to catch up with the schedule for the NYC marathon. The group was running six today, and I was supposed to do seven while the Marine Corps folks were supposed to do eight. The weather was still pretty nice -- warm but not ghastly hot and not too humid.

The group run went pretty well. I stuck with the plan of running a mile, walking to drink then running, etc. for the first couple of miles. The third mile out was in full sun. I don't think it was all that bad but the contrast from the rest of the shaded path coupled with the fact that this is about the distance (5 miles or so) where I've been stopping lately, made it a tough mile for me. I found myself walking when I shouldn't have been and generally feeling pretty rotten.

Approaching the next mile marker I ran into our coach who had me stop until some more of the runners caught up with me. We ran the next mile doing a drill where we'd run in a single file line and the last person would run to the front and then the next person would go -- kind of what they do in a team time trial in cycling only on foot. That was good and kept us moving along for the end of the run. We weren't fast but we were moving.

All in all, a good effort.

1 comment:

ShoreTurtle said...

Did you get in to NYC? That should be fun.

I'm thinking of doing the philly distance run in September. It fits with my training for the Philly marathon in November which if I make it though the training, would be my first marathon.

Good luck! It's getting hot here, but I'm not complaining. It's better than all the rain.