Monday, October 15, 2007

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch!

I ran 18 miles on Saturday instead of the 20 on my schedule. It was about 6 miles too many for my poor legs. I am really paying the price for all my resting!

I haven't really run much in the last few weeks -- at first to save my legs for the Megatransect and then to recover from it. I've done walking but very little running. Saturday had the PhillyFit group doing 18 miles on a paved trail -- not the normal gravel/dirt trail we usually use. I think the combination of time off, increased milage and different surface created a perfect storm for sore legs.

My friend Melinda was an awesome cheerleader and kept me from throwing in the towel at mile 12 when we passed our cars and could have bailed out on the long run. She also kept me from totally walking in the last three miles like I wanted to. I did walk the last half mile, but other than that I tried my best to do the run/walk shuffle. There were three of us who were really struggling at the end (Melinda wasn't struggling at all -- she was just super patient with the three of us who were!)

Anyway, my legs were hurting Saturday afternoon. On Sunday my quads were in bad shape. Steps were like torture. I haven't felt like this in a long time. Today they are a little better but still sore. I'm worried about New York. I know I can cover the distance but it's going to be pretty hard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helen: Just thought I'd check back in to see how you're doing since the Megatransect. Hope you don't mind.

Nov. 4 is plenty of time to get ready for the marathon. Plus think of all the other marathons you've already done, plus conquering the Megatransect. And when you get out there with all those people, you know you will be pushed along. You can do it -- and will.

Helen said...

Thanks for checking in! I'm sure I'll be fine in NY and I know I can finish. I just don't want to feel lousy doing it!