Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The women's race

I've been thinking aboout who I want to win the women's race in New York since I can't win myself. I'm checking out the list of women who are running and I'm torn between a few of them:

Jelena Prokopcuka has won the last two years and if she wins on Sunday she'll be only the 2nd woman to win NYC three years in a row (the only other is Grete Waitz). She'll also take home the big prize for the World Marathon majors. I think she's super cute when she wins and I kind of love her dominating the race, so I think I'm rooting for her repeat victory.

Paula Radcliffe is pretty awesome, she's the World Record holder three times over, and this will be her first race in about two years (she's been off having a baby and recovering from a broken sacrum). She's also won 6 of the 7 marathons she has run (the other was the memorable DNF at the Olympics). A victory in New York would be a pretty awesome comeback. I like Paula because she congratulates me after every one of my runs (thanks, Nike+) and is always telling me what a great job I'm doing.

Catherine Ndereba I like because she has such a cool name and cool nickname "Catherine the Great" and she's nipping at Paula's heels in the World Record race. Plus, she trains here in Valley Forge so I feel like she's my buddy even though I've never actually seen her in person. She's finished on the podium in 16 of her 17 marathons so I expect she'll be doing well on Sunday.

Last but not least, is Gete Wami , I have to admit I've never heard of her until today but I should have because she's currently in the lead of the World Marathon majors competition and if she wins on Sunday she'll win the prize.

I don't much care about the men's race because I'm more interested in the Men's Olympic trials on Saturday. More on that later but right now I really need to do some work.-

1 comment:

MAT2006 said...

Gete Wami is more interesting than you thought. She is attempting to pull a double major marathon win, Berlin & New York, in the span of 35 days.