Friday, May 20, 2005

Am I Goofy enough? I think so. Unfortunately.

I've done the Walt Disney World Marathon twice. I really had a good time both years but training for a race over the Christmas holidays is rough and last year, after the event, I decided I wasn't coming back in 2006. I needed at least a one year break.

Soon after making that decision I found out that they were changing Marathon Weekend so that the full and half marathons would be on different days. They also indicated that runners who participated in both events would get some kind of special reward. I am obsessed with medals and race t-shirts so this was a very tempting offer. Somehow, I managed to resist even when my sister signed up to do the set of races.

Every time I've been tempted I've managed to talk myself out of signing up because I have such a full training schedule this summer and fall. It's going to be hard to keep my motivation going for all those months and it's really a bad idea for me to sign up for the duo in January.

Yesterday, Disney sent out an e-mail promoting "Goofy's Race and Half Challenge". You get a Goofy medal if you finish them both plus you get the Donald (which I don't have) and the Mickey. I really, really, really want that Goofy medal.

It's a bad idea for me to sign up for these races -- it's too much training, it's a lot of money to spend on travel and race entries. It's just a bad idea but I totally want to do it.

My husband agrees that it's a terrible idea and he thinks I'm crazy to want all the medals (by the way, he has both the Mickey and the Donald). Unfortunately, he's a good (?) husband so he also said "I think you're crazy but if you really want to go I'll go with you."

It's a bad idea. I know it's a bad idea. I don't even like the race that much. I think I'm going to have to do it.

No comments: