Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Worst Run Ever!

This run totally sucked but I'm proud of myself for not giving up in the middle.

I had to run after work but figured it wouldn't be a problem since the PFit schedule only had me running for 25 minutes. I should have known things were going to be rough when about 2 minutes into the workout I realized that I had forgotten to use bodyglide and could already feel the rubbing. (I get awful chafe marks on my collarbones whenever I run if I don't use bodyglide.)

Then I noticed that my shorts (which I recently got at Target on the super ultra bargain rack) were all bunchy and kept getting throwing off my gait. Still, I thought, this is a short run. Just stick it out. I stopped thinking about my bunchy shorts only because I started to feel a sharp poking under my left arm. Turns out one of the underwires of my bra had decided to poke it's way out of the fabric and was jabbing me over and over again. Luckily there were a couple of the wristbands from the 5K on Saturday on the arms of the treadmill so I managed to use one of them to block the poking action of the underwire.

This run sucks -- and I'm less than 10 minutes into it. I'm completely uncomfortable but at least my legs feel good even if my clothes don't.

Then about 15 minutes into the run I get the most horrible side stitch! I don't get these much anymore and usually only outside when I totally screw up my pace because I try to keep up with the music in my iPod. I tried to breathe deeply, I tried holding the sore spot, I tried slowing down (and I wasn't even going fast!) Nothing really helped until I gave up and walked. I never stop to walk on the treadmill! I had to though, it was killing me. I walked at least 2 minutes maybe even 3 before I started to run again.

This is where I give myself credit. The usual me would have just bagged it at this point. The new PFit me decided to press on. [I need to point out here that this running program has given me back the feeling I had before my first marathon when I felt that if I skipped even a minute of any workout I'd never be able to finish the race. I don't know if that's good or bad.]

So I sped up again and finished the required 25 minutes of running. HORRIBLE.

Total time: 29 minutes. Distance: 2.5m

In other news, the new running playlist on my iPod totally rocks. It was the only good thing about the run.

No comments: