Saturday, May 21, 2005

PhillyFit - 3m 31:14

Today was my first day at PhillyFit. Everybody seemed very nice and I think it's going to be a good group. They had cake available post-run so they can't be all bad, right?

The pace run was 3 miles. I knew that no matter what happened I'd be in the Red pace group (10 minutes and slower) so I wasn't trying to run fast for this test run. (They told us not to run fast anyway -- just run comfortably.)

I've had trouble keeping up the momentum when I run outside. I always wimp out and stop to walk even when I am running a distance I know I can do without trouble on the treadmill. It's odd and I guess it's because I have trouble controlling my pace. Today I started out a little faster than I wanted to and then couldn't figure out to adjust so I kept up the pace the whole way. I was determined not to stop running and get over the mental block that I can't run that far. Tempting as it was to stop -- I didn't and I managed to do the 3 miles in 31:14

I'm pleased with that even though I was one of the snails of the day. That's OK though because most of the red team seems to have joined last week and were out on their group run already by the time I got started. Next week I'll be able to see where I fit in on the snail scale within my own group.

I guess I don't care though. They always say that for your first marathon your goal should be to finish. That's my goal I guess but it's to finish faster than I have finished as a walker otherwise this new training isn't really worth it.

No comments: