Monday, April 24, 2006

1st Annual Valley Forge Revolutionary Run (5 miles)

Sunday morning was gray and damp and chilly but not raining so that was a really good thing. We made it to the park just in the nick-of-time and got to the start of the race with about 5 minutes to spare and that was mostly because the race was slightly delayed! I thought having a race close to home would be good but we were still pretty late.

The race itself was great. Mostly along the loop I'm familiar with running but it takes a slight detour around Wayne's Woods and therefore adds one pretty nasty hill to the loop. I did my best to run the whole way and with the execption of the two killer hills I kept it moving the whole time. Clock time: 54:15 and my watch time is 53:01. I'm really happy with both times - I was hoping for 11 minutes or under and I did that, so I'm really glad. I was well fueled and I felt great for the entire time.

I liked the race overall. Parking wasn't a hassle as I had anticipated, the shirt was a surprise (royal blue performance fabric) and the food afterwards was great: lots and lots of PEANUT CHEWS! The only flaw was that the "expo" tent was super crowded but they can maybe fix that next year or I'll be faster and get more of a head start into the tent. They didn't run out of anything though, so that's good. We also ran into my long-lost-friend Char so that was awesome. Our running store guy came in 3rd over all.

I can't wait until next year to do this one again. I think I'll see if I can try to practice on that big hill before next spring. I would be so excited if I could make it through the full loop without any walking. Someday.

No comments: