Monday, April 17, 2006

Clean Air 5K + lots more miles...

Saturday morning we went down to MLK Drive to do the Clean Air 5K. I had a pretty lousy performance but it was a great race anyway.

We were running late and I forgot to grab the Oatmea-to-go that I was planning on eating for breakfast so I had to settle for an Hooah bar instead. (yuck!) We got there just in the nick of time but did manage to line up about 30 seconds before the gun went off. It was unusually hot and humid for 9am in April but it was still a gorgeous day. I went out too fast, finished the first mile in 10 minutes, took the next mile to try to slow myself down and then tried (but failed!) to run in the last mile. I finished in 34:40 chip time, which is not my best but not my worst. I should have been able to do better than that but it was still fun.

The post race food was awesome! I didn't eat a whole lot of it, which was stupid of me, but they had lots to choose from. Bagels, donuts, fresh fruit (apples & oranges), yogurt, yogurt smoothies, ICE CREAM, salads, energy bars, coffee and iced coffee. There was more, I'm sure. They also had great booths and samples of stuff and even free massages. Excellent raffles too, although we didn't win anything.

After the race we had to do our long miles for the marathon. We walked back to the car to get our supplies (about a mile away from the Kelly Drive loop) and then came back to the loop. We checked out the new Schuykill Banks trail and then did the Kelly Drive loop. With that plus the 5K and the trips back and forth to the car, we figured we did a little more than the 16 miles required for our training plan. Unfortunately, I had a very bad day and could barely run at all during the long run. I think at first the problem was bad fuel to start with but my bad attitude took over and I wound up just walking 90% of the distance. WIMP!

1 comment:

MAT2006 said...

I think this means the Secret Trail is 1.2 miles in one direction, right?