Friday, July 14, 2006

Catching up on the past week

Wow! I've been a total blog slacker! The good news is that I haven't totally slacked off on running. To re-cap:

Last Sunday I met my sister and her two teenaged daughters to walk with them down at Kelly Drive. This was their first outing to start getting ready for the Philadelphia Distance Run in September. They're all semi-excited about the idea but mostly horrified when the see how far the distance actually is. My sister thought that she had signed up for a 10K. When I explained that it was a half-marathon she says "how far is that, again?" and then she says "and how far is a 10k?". Yes, they do have much to learn! Anyway, the walk went fine after we got started. We had forgotten that there was a women's triathlon being run at Kelly Drive that day so we had a tricky time parking and finding one another but the race added an extra element of run to thier experience. Here's hoping I get them outside this Sunday too!

Tuesday is my normal running night but it was rained out by a thunderstorm so Brian & I went for a short neighborhood walk after it blew over. It was still hideously humid so we didn't even walk fast but it was still walking so I put it on the calendar. We probably covered about three miles or so. Much more of a stroll than an exercise outing.

Wednesday we went for a good outing from Indian Head Road on the oaks trail to Valley Force. This was a good four mile run at a steady, slowish pace. I screwed up by hitting the wrong button on my watch so I don't know the real timing of the run but I tried really hard to stick to the being able to talk rule. I'm guessing it was between 11 and 11:30 minute miles.

Last night was our VF loop run. This was awesome! Brian had to work later than usual and that turned into a particularly good thing because it had cooled off quite a lot while I waited for him. We didn't really get moving until about 7:15 and by then the sun was low and there was even a breeze along parts of the trail. I stuck with him in the early stages of the loop but somewhere about two miles into the running section I found my legs and pulled away from him and finished the loop actually getting faster as I went along. It was totally bizarre! I finished in about 50 minutes which is awesome for me on that trail.

Today is a much needed rest day and then tomorrow I have my long run. I'm confused about what milage to do since my NYRR Trainer says to do 7 miles, my Philly Fit adjusted schedule says 10 miles, and the group is doing 6. Brian and my sister are supposed to do 12. The weather is going to be HOT (over 90) for the next 10 days at least but I think tomorrow might be low humidity so it might be good to get in longer miles while it's not quite so painful but I suspect I'm going to wind up on the low end of things tomorrow. I'm sure I can get in 8 but I don't know that I'll make it all the way to 10.

Stay tuned....

No comments: