Thursday, July 20, 2006

Fake 5K

I was supposed to be running a local 5K last night but it was postponed because of the horrible thunderstorms we had on Tuesday evening. The storms trashed the county where I live and there were downed trees and powerlines all over the place. My own electricity was out for a long time and PECO was saying that it might not be restored until Sunday afternoon! Thank God that was a false alarm and my power came back yesterday afternoon.

Anyway, since I didn't have my 5K to run I considered doing nothing but reading my book in the 5K time slot but since I haven't run at all since Saturday I decided that was a bad idea so I put on the sneakers and hit the trail.

I guessed the distance I ran but it was at least 3 miles and less than 3.5 I think. My sportbrain (not the most reliable tool in the world) clocked the run at exactly 3.1 miles. How convenient! In any event the run took 32 minutes and felt fabulous.

It would have even been a little faster except some guy on a bike stopped me mid-run and asked me to look at a bee sting he had on his face and asked if I thought the stinger was still in it (no) and if he looked abnormally swollen because he had never been stung before (no). He had to ride pretty far to get back to his car and he needed to know if he should stop and beg a park ranger for a ride instead of trying to make it on his own.

After that I think I ran even faster back to my car because all I could think about was that Ted Bundy movie starring Mark Harmon where he is always tricking his victims into helping him by pretending he had a fake broken arm. This guy didn't seem the least bit scary and he did seem to have a giant swollen cheek but Mark Harmon/Ted Bundy seemed pretty harmless too.

Anyway, the run felt great which I'm sure was due to the extra rest and the low humidity but it made me anxious to run some more tonight. Unfortunately, the humidity seems back in full force, and it's pretty cloudy so my run may be rained out. I am totally uninterested in running in the rain.

No comments: