Saturday, July 01, 2006

Saturday Philly Fit Run - 7 miles

Saturday Morning was the weekly Philly Fit run. We were supposed to start late and follow the run with a picnic but the recent floods forced us to cancel the picnic. We still started at the late time (8:45) which was hot but let us sleep late so I still was happy.

The run itself went quite well. We were on the shady part of the Perkiomen Trail which is mostly soft gravel so it was easy on the knees and cooler than the Oaks trail to Valley Forge. I fell in with a pack of runners who were chatting with me and they helped me keep an easy, even pace. I was sticking to my plan to walk/drink at each mile and that went pretty well for me until the last section where I got a mild side stitch and walked more than usual. For the last mile I hooked up with a woman who was having a really hard time and was commenting on how discouraged she was by being left behind by our group (she was with us totally on the run out but was struggling to keep up on the return trip.) Anyway, I stuck with her and ran/walked with her for the last mile. I didn't mind doing it and she was grateful. My plan was to do two extra miles with Brian after our official seven but it was really hot so we decided not to do the extra miles.

We covered 7 miles in about 1:16 which translates to just under 11 minute miles and I'm happy with that outcome.

Post-run we guzzled the Gatorade Endurance I'd collected on Friday night and then headed home to enjoy the nice day.

No comments: