Monday, July 31, 2006

Weekend Long Run + Change of Plans

Saturday was the Philly Fit long run -- we did about 11 miles and it was a good day.

The group got started a litte bit ahead of schedule and we weren't quite ready to pull out when the bulk of the group left so we started out on our own behind them. It was a good thing it worked out this way I think because I started out at a nice and easy pace which was good because the weather was really hot and humid. After a mile and a half or so we caught up with one member of the group who happens to work at my company. Brian went off ahead of us and I ran with her taking the same 5/1 walk breaks that she was taking. I don't usually do that but it didn't bother me to do it and I think it helped her to have a little bit of company. She said we were both running and walking faster than she was used to and I'm not sure if that was good or bad for her.

Anyway, we stuck together for the next 6 or 7 miles or so until she was more winded than I was and I pulled off on my own. I ran by myself the last stretch, passing a few people and generally taking much fewer walk breaks. My total time was 2:10 and I'm not unhappy with that considering the conditions and all the walk breaks. If it's true that long runs should be a minute slower than marathon pace, I was right on.

I drank a TON during the run. I bought a new Nathan Speed 4 water belt that holds 40 oz of water and I couldn't believe how totally comfortable it was! In addition to the 4 bottles it has two pouches for holding gels and keys and stuff and I love it! Anyway, I had 3 of the 4 filled with Gatorade Endurance and one with plain water and I had finished all of it by the time the run was over. Brian had a 34 oz belt on with a similar gatorade/water ratio and he was done too. Once we finished we polished off another 34 oz bottle of Endurance and a big bottle of regular gatorade (32 oz) plus two small (12 oz) bottles of water each. That's a lot of liquid. He did two extra miles to catch up with his marine Corps schedule but I just sat around and talked.

This is a snazzy little fluid loss calculator from Gatorade which suggests that we were right on with the hydration plan. 12 oz of fluid for every 15 minutes of moderate/hard running in the conditions we faced on Saturday. Interesting.

I was pretty wiped afterwards and even had to take a nap. Brian resisted the nap but did mention that he considered one which is very unusual for him.

Over the weekend we also decided that we're probably going to skip the Lake Tahoe Marathon after all. It seems like a good idea but we realized we would have to sacrifice more of Yosemite than we're really willing to do for the workout. The way I see it we can still probably decide to do it at the last minute if we really want to but we probably won't. We're pretty wishy-washy though so we might change our minds again by next week!

No comments: